The Communications Writer/Editor conveys the excellence and aspirations of a prominent national research university with writing that is engaging, eloquent and compelling. This individual will apply a deep understanding of language, narrative and tone to help enhance the university’s stature in the nation and world. Key to success in this position will be an ability to write across multiple media – that is, from print and online advertising to full-length magazine stories to copy for the web.
1. Promote the university by recognizing and writing about unique and/or striking aspects of campus: its people, programs, achievements, initiatives, and more.
2. Appreciate the power of effective storytelling, and seize those moments when a well-told tale can attract significant attention and acclaim for the university.
3. Demonstrate comprehensive command of language, deep understanding of structure and tone, and full mastery of crisp writing,
4. Manage multiple tasks at various stages of production, maintaining quality for each while also meeting regular deadlines.
5. Conduct additional research and fact-checks of information in university publications as needed.
6. In editing and proofreading, ensure text is free from spelling or grammatical errors, meets university standards for style and content and also aligns fully with the university brand.
7. Work collaboratively and constructively in a team environment that includes specialists in multiple fields (graphic design, media relations, marketing, and web design and development).
8. Communicate effectively with colleagues and supervisor(s).
9. Maintain positive working relationships with individuals seeking UMC services and those providing services to the office.
10. Coordinate select elements of production with outside vendors, among them quantities, mailings and on-campus deliveries.